Saturday, June 14, 2008

And were off:


May, 29th 2008

Never in my life have I been placed in such an ambiguous situation. The last three days have been an emotional ride, filled with changing people, places, and events. Three days ago, I arrived off a plane in Miami, and was taken to one last farewell dinner by my friend Rita. Later that night I was droped off at the Westin Hotel Miami, and so would start my Peace Corps experience.

The next day, I nervously walk into a room filled with my fellow Peace Corps volunteers. We'll mirrored the same nervous and anxious feelings. Over the next couple of days, we began to bond with each other and begin what some call the “beginning lifelong friendship”

Two days later, ( May 30th 2007) I arrived in Paraguay. Every 1st few minutes within the country was filled with confusion and anticipation. This was to be my first time in Latin America. I found the country to be very similar to Nigeria except there were less people and much less trash on the road. From the ride to the airport to my home community, I began to expericnece Spanish becoming the dominant language of my life. Although, I was kind of scared, I look forward to one day mastering the language and thriving in the country. One of my first reactions to Paraguay was how cold the country was. This was to be one of the many misunderstandings I would have to come during my first days in Paraguay. It was freezing…. yo tengo mas frio.

Over the next COUPLE OF hours our group would come to learn vital information about our stay in Paraguay. Then as abruptly as we arrived in the country we were separated. We were told that our host families would be coming to pick us up and take us to their homes to spend our first night. My stomach dropped… I don't think I've ever felt more awkward and nervous in my entire life. To keep our experience authentic and personal are Peace Corps trainners gave us no real insights into what life would be like with our new families. With absolutely no warning we were lined up, and matched with our perspective families. It was kind of like the feeling of being matched up on a dating show and being picked one-by-one for a schoolyard game, all in one.

As I embrace the members of my host family, so many thoughts filled my head. I thought, “well this is great, my Spanish is terrible, my Guarani is nonexistent, and I have almost no idea about Paraguay and its culture, WHAT am I going to do with these people and”. But I did have one bright thought. About half of our volunteers were told that they would be taken out to a far distant rural community. I thought how lucky I was to be not one of them.

Over the past several months leading to the start of my Peace Corps expirence, I was told about the strenuous conditions I would have to live in. As I pulled into a massive house I thought thank you. As I'm writing now, I'm lying down on a double sized bed. I have my own private room with constant electricity, and a modern bathroom down the hallway. Now I’m not living in the lap of luxury…. but by no means am I even close to suffering….(sidenote) On girl that lives in a rural community has to take buckets baths outside in 40 degree weather.

No comments: